Monday, January 2, 2017

2016 Favorites

In keeping with tradition, here are my ten favorite photos from 2016. (Click for a larger view.)


Vaporware
There's a reason I always carry a telephoto lens with me. Sometimes you need a long lens to get the good stuff to fill the frame.



Citadel
The giant sea stack provided an obvious focal point, but with the light fading I was running around looking for a complimentary foreground element. Then a big wave came hissing through the seaweed-covered rocks and I knew the composition I wanted. Luckily the ocean provided another big wave before the color drained from the sky.



Found
Summer in the Bay Area means fog. On this day I went up into the hills looking a vantage point that would frame the motion of fog as it blew in from the coast.



Twirl
I almost didn't take this one. I have a similar shot from a few years ago (see my 2013 list), and it felt redundant to take another telephoto shot of a single gnarled cypress. But this one was even more gnarled and cypress-y so I gave in to temptation.



Atlas
I didn't get the explosive colors I was hoping for out of this sunset, so I was packing up and heading back to my car when I took one last look back through the viewfinder. With the help of the forced perspective of a wide angle lens, I was struck by the convergence of the clouds, reflections and water in this scene. This image spent several months serving as the wallpaper on my phone.



Calera Creek
This dramatic sunset made headlines in the Bay Area.



Made It
I knew as I was running up the hill that I would only have a minute or two to get a good shot before the sun disappeared. And this scene presented a bit of compositional challenge. There were leading lines in the sky, but also leading lines in the surf that lead... somewhere else. And the dramatic clouds were resisting all of my attempts to frame them against anything in the foreground. So I just went with what was in front of me, and for reasons I can't quite explain this picture has been growing on me ever since.



Roadside Attraction
I was hoping to find morning sunbeams in Big Basin after some recent rain. I was not disappointed.



Emergence
Tunnel View in Yosemite after an overnight snowfall. It doesn't get better than this.



Downstream
Another shot from the same day as the previous photo. There was a lot of mist swirling around all of the big landmarks in the valley on this day. I stood in this spot for a long, long time waiting for El Capitan to finally reveal itself.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Wonderful photos Mike. I really appreciate your participation in this years Best Photos of the Year blog project. My best to you in 2017!

    ReplyDelete